Situated at an altitude of more than 9,625 ft, Kareri Lake is a clear freshwater lake in the middle of the mountains of the Dhauladhar range with fresh greenery all around. Kareri Lake trek takes you on a memorable journey through pine and oak green forests and rocky grasslands. Kareri trek is considered one of the best weekend gateway for people who are looking for a perfect adventure and challenge in a short duration of time.
The worth going trek to Kareri Lake starts from Mcelodganj from where it will be taking you to Kareri village in a shared vehicle. The flora and fauna of the trek change as you go up. You’ll start through the beautiful pine and oak forests and transition slowly into mesmerizing grasslands. There will be a few eye-catching water streams on your way. Once you reach the top, you’ll be amazed by the reflection of the Dhauladhar range on Kareri Lake.
- Note- If you are in a group of 2 or more people then the trek can be organized any day.
- Kareri Lake Trek Distance: Approximately 20 km
- Kareri Lake Trek Temperature:
Winter- Months of Dec to Feb: 8 to 10 degrees in the day and up to 0 to -5 degrees at night.
Spring- Months of Mar to Apr: 15 to 20 degrees in the day, 0 to 5 degrees at night.
Summer- Months of May to June: 18 to 24 degrees in the day and up to 3 to 8 degrees at night.
Autumn- Months of Sept to Nov: 10 to 15 degrees in the day and up to 0 to 3 degrees at night.
- Best time to do Kareri Lake Trek: November to April
- Kareri Lake height: 9,625 ft
- Kareri Lake trek difficulty: Easy to Moderate
Day 1: Mcleodganj to Kareri Village
- Morning Pickup from Mcleodganj
- Drive to the beautiful Kareri Village and trek to Kareri lake
- Trek distance: Up to 10 km
- Altitude: Approximately upor 4,780 ft to 7,210 ft to 9,625 ft
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Meals: Both Lunch and Dinner
Day2: Kareri Lake to Kareri Village and then drive back to Mcleodganj
- Trek back to the Kareri Village
- Total Trek distance: 10 km
- Altitude: Approximately 9,625 ft to 7,210 ft to 4,780 ft
- Meals: Only Breakfast will be provided.
Day 1: Mcleoodganj to Kareri Village
- Start your morning drive to Kareri Village from Mcleodganj in a shared vehicle or a private vehicle early in the morning. (around 10 AM)
- After reaching, your trek leader or guide will brief you about the trek to Kareri lake.
- A long 10 km journey will begin that will take you to Kareri lake.
- You will be provided with delicious and hygiene-packed lunch on the way.
- Reach the campsite located only a few meters away from the lake.
- Explore the lake and its beautiful surroundings.
- Have dinner and take some rest for the night in the camps.
Day 2: Kareri Lake to Kareri Village and then drive back to Mcleodganj
- After having the mouth-watering breakfast, spend some time exploring the beautiful areas around the Lake.
- Then get ready to start your journey back to Kareri Village.
- Reach Kareri Village and then get transferred to Mcleodganj.
Things to Carry
- Rucksack (Min 55 Ltrs with rain cover)
- Good quality Trekking Shoes, Floaters, or Sandals
- Quick Dry Tees
- Track Pants
- Cotton socks
- Pair of woolen socks
- Rain jacket or Poncho
- 1 Full Sleeves Sweater or 1 Heavy Jacket, Fleece Jacket, 1 Pair of Thermal
- Quick-dry towel
- Windproof Jacket
- Woolen Cap
- Sun Cap
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & SunScreen (SPF 40+)
- Packed food
- Water Bottle 1
- fresh and additional pairs of batteries for a headlamp or light
- Personal Toiletries
- Personalized Basic Medical Kit
- Trekking Pole
- Extra Polythene
Kareri Lake trek package Inclusions:
- An experienced and licensed Kareri Lake trek guide will guide you throughout the journey.
- The support staff will be there all the time to help and guide you throughout your trek.
- First aid kit
- All Veg Meals (Lunch and dinner on day 1, Breakfast on day 2)
Kareri Lake trek package Exclusions:
- Personal essentials
- Equipment- Gumboots, trekking poles, etc.
- Insurance of any kind.
- Beverage– Mineral water bottles, bottled or canned beverages
- Snacks- dry fruits, Chocolates, protein, or nutrition bars
- Any additional cost that happened due to changes in Government Guidelines related to travel/trek/COVID-19 will be included in the package.
- Anything that is not mentioned above in inclusion.
- Rent gear: You can reduce the hassle and difficulty of buying gear like jackets, trek pants, and shoes and rent them for the trek at an additional cost.